ENGLISH LEARNERS ADVISORY COMMITTEE
What is the ELAC?
The ELAC is a group of English Learner parents and community members who advise and assist schools in making important decisions related to services for English Learners.
The California Education Code requires an ELAC be formed at schools with more than 20 identified English Learners.
Who can serve on the ELAC?
Any student's parent or community member can serve on the ELAC. The ELAC executive board is made up of five ELAC members who can only be elected by parents of English Learners. At least three members of the executive board must be parents of English Learners themselves. The chairperson must be a parent of an English Learner in attendance at the school.
What are the responsibilities of the ELAC?
- Consult with parents regarding academic services provided to English learners. All ELAC meeting agendas are publicly posted and meetings are a matter of public record.
- Advise in the development and implementation of the school site plan for services and programs for English learners and submit them to the district's governing board.
- Review the school's language census report and academic achievement results when developing the school's plan for English learner services and programs.
- Help make parents aware of the importance of regular school attendance.
The majority of the ELAC executive board should meet to develop agendas for all meetings as early as possible.
The school will support the work of the ELAC by providing babysitting services, maintaining ELAC documentation, preparing minutes and agendas, translating documents, and providing interpreters, refreshments and transportation to meetings.
English Learners Advisory Committee (ELAC)
The English Learners Advisory Committee (ELAC) makes recommendations regarding programs for students with second language needs. The purpose of the ELAC is to provide parents of English Learners opportunities to:
- Learn more about the programs offered to their children
- Participate in the school’s needs assessment of students, parents, and teachers
- Provide input in the most effective ways to support full participation of English Learners in all school activities
- Provide input on the most effective ways to ensure regular school attendance
The role of the English Language Advisory Committee (ELAC) is to advise the principal and School Site Council on programs and services for English learners. The ELAC acts in an advisory capacity. It is not a decision making body, but it is the voice of the English learner community.
Que es ELAC (Comité Asesor de Padres de Alumnos Aprendices de Inglés)? Es un Comité de padres, personal docente, y miembros de la comunidad responsable de dar recomendaciones a la administración escolar sobre servicios y programas para los alumnos aprendices de inglés.
What is ELAC (Parent Advisory Committee for English Learners)? It is a committee of parents, teachers, and community members responsible for giving recommendations to the school administration about services and programs for English learners.
For more information please call for Ms. Lima Community Relation Specialist (CRS) at (310) 898-6030 Ext. 68706
Chairperson : Nancy Ferguson (20)
Vice Chairperson: Toby Rideaux (21)
Secretary : Leticia Munoz (20)